Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Successful First Week of School


Welcome to Mrs. Sundaram's Fourth Grade!



Thank you to all my colleagues, students, and parents who supported me during the first week at the Northwood campus. I no longer feel like a new teacher.

  
The first week ended with a great sense of accomplishment for my students and I.  We are now well settled into the established procedures and routines of our class. The students brainstormed and listed our classroom rules that I have proudly displayed as a permanent feature of our bulletin board.

This year, in addition to our California fourth grade standards, we will be working toward our transition to Common Core with emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving skills.




I look forward to an exciting and fulfilling year with many academic milestones and achieved goals!   

We will be working on Math, Wordly Wise, writing, and Science or S.Studies on a daily basis.
  
Spelling pre-test for the vocabulary words in Worldly Wise will be given every Monday and spelling test on Friday.  Throughout the week we will practice spellings in class.  The students will be allowed to take their Worldly Wise books home and are strongly encouraged to review what we learn in class.

All unfinished classwork is considered homework due the next day.

In Math, students will be given practice page from their math workbook as homework.  Additional practice problems may also be given on some days.  Math quiz and test will be given at the end of every chapter.

Writing is a big part of the fourth grade curriculum.  Students will learn to write five paragraph essays, summarize the main idea of the readings, develop comprehension skills, and conduct research on given topics. 

Students will write their homework on a daily basis in their planner.

Every Friday, your child will bring home a purple REFLECTION sheet.  Please review and sign. Reflection sheet is due on Monday morning. 

Please feel free to send me an email at msundaram@busd.net or send me a note with your child to communicate with me.  Emails are the best way to reach me.  You may also make an appointment by checking with me in the morning before the school starts.

Looking forward to a great year.

Best,

Mrs. Lakshmi Sundaram 

No comments:

Post a Comment